Thursday, July 24, 2008

Cheery Cherries

Cherries are such a treat! I don't buy them often (they're usually kind of expensive), but I love when I do. Cherries are definitely a favorite! Well, actually, most fruits are a favorite!

Again, around 11:00, my stomach started to seriously growl. What is up with that? I'm not sure why my breakfast isn't holding me over like it used to. Perhaps, I need to eat a bigger breakfast or eat a little later in the morning to hold me over until lunch? Anyway, I dug into my cherries, which held me over until lunchtime an hour later.


Lunch was an Asian-inspired salad and a pesto chicken-artichoke wrap. My salad included arugula, snap peas, shredded carrots, red peppers, mandarin oranges, edamame, and sliced almonds.


I was already pretty full after eating my salad, so I nixed the wrap part of my sandwich and just ate the good stuff on the inside. My meal needed some extra protein in it, so the chicken was all I wanted/needed anyway. The pesto chicken and artichokes were wonderful-- so much flavor!

P.S. Does anyone have a good homemade pesto recipe that they want to share? I'd love to make my own!


I forgot to take a photo of the final piece of my lunch. I dove right into my vanilla snap cookies, and didn't even think to take a pic until I was about to eat my last one. You'd think I'd be used to this food blog thing by now! :)


Danger Alert!

After lunch, my boss strolled into the office with a huge plate of leftover cookies from a meeting. (My photo only shows about a 1/3 of the leftovers!) The cookies made here at the School, in my opinion, are the perfect cookies-- thick, soft, chewy, and enormous! I was (and still am) full from lunch, so my willpower to avoid these babies is high right now. However, I'm not one to turn down free cookies, so I'll probably indulge in one later this afternoon... perhaps with a mug of decaf coffee. Cookie Monster!

**Update: See that big oatmeal raisin cookie on the left? Yep, I chowed it down! I throughly enjoyed it too! :)

12 Comments:

chandra said...

I would like a cookie, please. :)

arielle said...

I would like a cookie too. Also, pesto is super easy, here's how I make it:

1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/2 lemon
1 clove garlic
5ish cups basil
3 T vegetable stock
1 T olive oil
3 or 4 T grated parmesan
salt and pepper

Blend it all up! You might have to adjust the liquids slightly depending on the consistency you want...I stream the oil/stock in toward the end slowly.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Since cherries came into season this year, I haven't gone ONE DAY without eating them - they're fabulous, aren't they?

WOW those cookies look delish.

While I don't have a "homemade" pesto recipe, I DO highly recommend THIS recipe (which I make all the time):

http://kristensraw.blogspot.com/2007/08/today-im-featuring-fantastic-recipe.html

Royal said...

I actually just made a pesto the other night it was amazing! I used African Blue Basil, about two cups tightly packed. A half of a cup of olive oil, three garlic cloves cause I LOVE garlic! Half cup of Parmesan cheese as well as a half cup of pine nuts. Salt and pepper to taste! I add the garlic to the food processor and then add olive oil until its paste like. I then add in the pine nuts, and then the basil one cup at a time and process. Finally you add the Parmesan and salt and pepper. It turned out fantastic! Didnt make alot but enough for a few servings. I stuffed a chicken breast and grilled it!

Anonymous said...

I despise when we have leftovers like that in my office kitchen. It's so easy to NOT want that kind of food when they're not around!

(Your Asian-inspired salad looks delicious. I think I need to pick up some of those ingredients at the grocery store tonight!)

Olga said...

I agree with Zandria...That salad looks so bright and delicious!

Beth said...

I use this recipe from Ellie Krieger:

1/4 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic
3 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper

Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan over a medium heat until fragrant and golden brown, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. In a food processor, process the pine nuts and the garlic until minced. Add the basil, Parmesan cheese and lemon juice and process until finely minced. With processor on, slowly pour the oil down the food chute. Process until well blended. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Beth said...

Also Tina, re: your breakfast - how many hours do you usually go between breakfast and lunch? I find most of my breakfasts only last 2 or 3 hours max, unless my breakfast is close to 500 calories. Otherwise, it's usually 350 - 400 and I need a snack before lunch.

Anonymous said...

Leftover cookie plates are satin in the form of dessert. No matter how strong my willpower typically is, it is simply impossible for me to say no.

sweetsandsweats

Anon said...

oatmeal for breakfast and oatmeal cookies for dessert. a girls gotta have her oatmeal ;) and THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE BREAKFAST DIRECTIONS i absolutely hate cooking but love healthy great foods and i always mess up pancakes but i think i can do a microwavable one ;)

Anonymous said...

My pesto is really simple and fast!

2 cups basil
2 T walnuts or cashews
1/2 - 2 cloves garlic
Dash salt
2 T olive oil

Put everything in the mini-chopper and stream in extra olive oil or warm water for thinning.

To store it, drizzle a little olive oil on top; otherwise the top turns brown!

Anusce@Ciao-Chow said...

Dear Tina,
I am from Italy (came here to the US 5 years ago) and I make Pesto at home all the time and it is very simple.

just blend
a bunch of basil leaves ( when you pick the leave make sure not to pick any bunch that has already blossomed flowers).
two/three cloves of garlic
pine nuts
and olive oil.

this is how we make it Tuscany!
if you have questions let me know
my blog is anusce.blogspot.com

anusce