Sunday, July 27, 2008

Family Reunion Recap

The family reunion was great-- and of course, everyone loved Mal! He fit right in! :) 

Mal and I were already starving when we arrived at the family reunion, which was held at Nashoba Valley, an outdoor function area that offered swimming, volleyball, horseshoes, and other fun activities. Our lunch BBQ wasn't scheduled to start for a couple of hours, so Mal and I filled up on veggies...


and fruit skewers. I ate 1 fruit skewer and probably about 10 veggie crudités with dip. 


The family reunion lunch included the usual BBQ foods: hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage, pasta salad, grilled veggies, potato chips, etc. 


My plate...

I ate everything except for the (white bread) hamburger bun (I don't even know why I got it) and the pickles, which tasted like soap/bug spray-- I think some sprayed themselves a little too close to them! 


Besides catching up with my family, the best part of the reunion was Make Your Own Sundaes with ice cream from Kimball Farms!!!


My sundae was a scoop and a half of vanilla ice cream with M&Ms, chocolate and peanut butter chips. Yum! I love sundaes! (Not gonna lie, I was a little bummed that there wasn't hot fudge!)


An old sign from my family's dairy farm was displayed at the reunion. My great grandfather owned and managed a dairy farm for over 50 years until his death in the late 1980's. My mom, sister, and I actually lived on his farm until I was 12 years old.


My cousin, Andrea, Mal, me, my sister, and her boyfriend, Pat at the family reunion... we all enjoyed an afternoon beer together. I had a Sam Summer, while everyone enjoyed Coronas. 

All in all, an amazing family reunion! Rumor has it that almost 100 family members were present yesterday! Nuts, right? I have about 60 2nd cousins, which is why we only get together every 10 years or so! 

9 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Aww, so glad that everyone loved Mal, and that you guys had fun :0)

Mmm, those fruit skewers and the make-your-own-sundae station look delicious!!

100 family members in attendance?!?!?! Wow!!

Danielle said...

That sounds like an incredible day, good food and good company are always key and I'm glad to hear Mal fit right in :)

Anonymous said...

Look at that skewer of goodness! My, I would have had all those and been so happy. :]
Glad your reunion was fun!! It's so great to catch up with relatives, even if there are too many to count (I know!!)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a lot of family! Looks like you guys had fun though :)

jenna said...

Looks like a fun day!!! Your plate looks very yummy and so does that make your own sundae bar of course! Seems like Mal is a keeper!

Anonymous said...

Love that veggie tray and fruit kabobs!

Anonymous said...

60 second cousins?! That's insane! Sounds like it was a great time though. Love the make your own sundae idea, and the fruit kebobs are gorgeous!

rebecca said...

Oh, I love the idea of an ice cream sundae station. I am totally stealing it for our next family reunion!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to a family reunion so I am amazed by the fact that over 100 people could be there!!! My mom's side of the family is very small and my dad's side is only 2nd generation American's (Austrian) so there just aren't all that many people in my family here. So I am sort of jealous. It sounds like so much fun!!

sweetsandsweats