Monday, July 28, 2008

Lunch Combo

Today's lunch was a salad-half sandwich combo. My salad was made from lettuce, carrots, and cherry tomatoes from home, then topped with more veggies and "fun" stuff from the cafe's salad bar. Salad highlights: marinated sweet potatoes, a rosemary red potato, and a spoonful of spicy black bean salad.


My half sandwich was made with the "end piece," which I actually don't mind at all. Mal, on the other hand, avoids the "heel" of the loaf like his life depended on it! :) In my sandwich was cracked-pepper turkey and balsamic sweet onion jam from Stop & Shop's "Simply Enjoy" line. For you Stop & Shoppers, I found the balsamic sweet onion jam in the isle with the other jams and jellies-- they had quite a few interesting varieties! The balsamic sweet onion spread is soo yummy-- sweet, thick, and chunky, almost like a chutney. It definitely jazzes-up a regular, old sandwich. I highly recommend it!


No lunch is complete without something sweet! I followed-up my salad and sandwich with 3 Oatmeal-Apricot-Almond cookies and a dark chocolate Adora.


I'm not sure about my afternoon snack today. I'm not hungry at all, but I brought a peach and some yogurt with honey, so we'll see how the rest of the afternoon goes and whether my hunger starts to creep up on me.

Happy Monday!

14 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I looove bread heels!! :o)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Great salad!! And of course I love seeing those scrumptious cookies again :0)

Anonymous said...

I had the end pieces for lunch today, but I had PB&Apple butter, YUM!!

Anonymous said...

I cannot eat the ‘heel’ either. But my husband loves them. And he calls them the sculkins, which makes me laugh because I had never heard of that.

sweetsandsweats

jpetroroy said...

Ever since a joke between my friend and I in high school, I call them the "bums" of the bread.
-JenP

Sara said...

My husband avoids the heels of the bread too!! But they are my favorite and I love them! Growing up my mom always called them the the "okole," which is butt in Hawaiian. :)

chandra said...

I usually call it the "butt" of the bread, but either way, I used to hate it and now I love it. :) That sweet onion spread sounds yummy, I'll have to check for it around here!

Fitnessista said...

mmmm the heel is the best part!

what are the adoras?? if it's dark chocolate i'm sure i'll like it, but have never heard of them

Tina said...

Fitnessista,

Here is some info about Adora...

An Adora disk is a chocolate calcium supplement that provides about 50% of your daily requirements. They are delicious and actually taste like real chocolate. Here's a link to their website: http://adoracalcium.com. You can order the Adora disks online, but they are also sold at Whole Foods and Walgreens as well as some other retailers.

Anonymous said...

the heel is my absolute favorite :)

Rosiecat24 said...

Ooh, onion jam! That sounds dreamy. I bet a concoction like that could be made at home as well...for those of us who live out of Stop & Shop range.

It's nice to see you back after your honeymoon, Tina!

Beth said...

The best new sandwich component/spread I have found is from Trader Joe's - Garlic Mustard Aioli. It is heavenly on a turkey or ham sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That jam sounds really good! I'm going to look around for something similar! I love sweet onion sauces!

Protea said...

Hey Tina! Guys are funny hey? My fiance doesn't eat the end of the loaf either. It makes no difference to me, specially toasted. Chandra calls it the butt, I call it "the bum of the bun". : )
Denise