Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Spanakopita Burgers

Rachel Ray's Spanakopita Burgers are one of my go-to recipes-- I can't believe I haven't posted them on my blog yet! Maybe I have, but I couldn't find an old post.

Here's Mal grilling our Spanakopita Burgers on our patio...



Our DC friends (their grand introduction tomorrow!) came over for dinner tonight, so we broke out a bottle of special Strawberry Rhubarb wine from the Grand View Winery in East Calais, Vermont. We visited the vineyard the last time we were in VT, and after sampling this variety, we just had to buy a bottle to bring home with us. You would expect the Strawberry Rhubarb wine to be sickly sweet, but it's not at all. It has a strong, bold flavor with just subtle hints of strawberry. Delish! We finished the bottle with no trouble tonight! 


Grilled burgers and buns... 


Dinner on the table, ready to eat...

We use ground turkey for our Spanakopita Burger recipe. The ground turkey gives the burgers a wonderful, not-too-greasy texture and flavor to it. Combined with the spinach, garlic, and feta, it's a healthy burger! 


My burger up close... check out the big chunks of feta and spinach. Yum! The buns are Calise Bakery 100% Whole Wheat Kaiser Rolls, which are fairly high in calories (200), but also high in fiber (4 grams) and protein (9 grams). The rolls are huge, so you're getting a lot of bun for 200 calories. 


And... lucky us... our friends brought dessert! Their homemade treats were similar to seven-layer bars-- one of my favorite desserts ever! :)


Up close... gooey, chunky, chocolatel-y, coconut-y, graham cracker-y goodness! Heaven in a bar!


It's very much bedtime for me! I think I am sleeping in and skipping the gym tomorrow morning. I'm pooped! GOOD NIGHT! 

12 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SEVEN-LAYER BARS!!?!??! Yes, please!!! :0D

chandra said...

Why must you always make me hungry and envious of your dinners? ;)

I'm thinking I need to make a trip to the Boston area for dinner one of these days. LOL

Samantha said...

I saw your post about the new LARABAR flavors, banana cookie is my favorite - tastes just like banana bread. I hope you enjoy it. Your burgers look great!

Unknown said...

Hi Tina!
I just wanted to say thanks for all of the inspiration! I have been reading your blog for a while and you and a few others have inspired me to write one myself. If you ever have a chance, I would love suggestions or ideas! Thanks again! And Congrats on your wedding! I just got married on June 21! Isn't it great cooking as newlyweds and with all the fun new gifts!! :)
Ali
http://healthyhostess.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

I live very close to the Grand View Winery! Their wines are excellent! My favorite is the Chardonnay - I definitely recommend it, and I'm normally not a huge Chardonnay fan. Thanks for such a positive and inspiring blog! Keep it up!

Erica said...

Those burgers are the BEST! I made them based on your previous suggestion and Josh and I LOVE LOVE them! I used mozzarella cheese because Josh is not a feta fan and they turned out great! Those seven layer bars look amazing.

Anonymous said...

mmm 7-layer bars are one of my favorites too! I haven't had one for so long, maybe that will be next on my baking list : )

And those burgers look awesome--I'm definitely going to make those soon too!

arielle said...

Now I'm hungry for burgers at nine in the morning! Thanks :) And I don't even eat meat...

Anonymous said...

Okay, holy YUM! Those burgers look incredible - poor Mal though having to bend over that far on the low grill!! :)

And those bars are my favorite too! You're a lucky gal :)

Danielle said...

Those burgers look divine!

Sarah said...

The spanakopita burgers sound delicious. I was raised on those flavors- spinach, garlic, feta- and love them!

One of the best things about blog-reading is that I get inspired by other's posts. I'm sure I'm not the only one with too many recipe ideas swimming in my head. All of you help me zero in on a smaller number. :-)

KIKI Monkes said...

I saw your blurb in the Metro this morning about the burgers and I was so excited... I can not wait to make them!