Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Summer Session Starts

I apologize for the late post. Today is the first day of Summer Session at HSPH, and my office coordinates it, so I've been helping out with orientation and registration all morning. I just now sat down to my desk. Anyway... on to the food!

Breakfast today was a repeat of yesterday's: Banana oatmeal with a spoonful of peanut butter.


However, today's banana oatmeal was made with vanilla hemp milk, which added a sweeter flavor and creamier texture. Yuuuum!

I had to be at HSPH at 7:30 this morning to prepare for our Summer Session event, so I ate breakfast around 6:15 (so early!) I'm surprised that I was actually hungry at that hour, but I knew that I needed to eat something since I wouldn't have a chance to eat until lunchtime. My oatmeal did a great job holding me over!


A very early work morning requires copious amounts of iced coffee. Today's iced coffee was light on the ice and milk, and heavy on the coffee. It did the trick though-- by the time I arrived at work, I was wide awake and ready to go!


I didn't make my lunch last night, and it was futile to even attempt a lunch at 6:00 am, so today's lunch was a big old salad from the cafe's salad bar. All of the veggies were very satisfying-- I'm full!

My very colorful salad included lots of goodies...

  • Strawberries
  • Cucumbers
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Arugula
  • Spinach
  • Kidney beans
  • Broccoli
  • Feta
  • JalapeƱos
  • Chic peas
  • Black beans
  • Beets
  • Wasabi peas
  • Mushrooms
  • Red grapes
  • Edamame
  • Artichoke hearts
  • Shredded carrots

Question of the Day

What's the best idea/tip/recipe/etc. that you read off someone else's food blog?

Me: It's a toss up between Kath's Oatmeal Pancake recipe or VeggieGirl's mention of Medjool dates on my blog. Both of these have changed my life! :)

12 Comments:

Simple and Divine said...

GORGEOUS salad TIna! Love all of the colors! It looks H.E.A.V.E.N.L.Y.!!! Hmm, that's totally impossible for me! Haha... Between Happy Herbivore's amazing recipes, Your questions of the days/answers to said questions, recipes from all the other bloggers, Chandra's breakfast concoctions... I have no clue. Can I say everyone has HONESTLY enhanced my food choices? Please? Haha, enjoy your day girl!

Anonymous said...

Kath's banana oatmeal with skim milk instead of just water has totally changed my breakfast eating. Plus, I went to see a nutritionist after reading Cristin's eat like me and that has made a huge difference.

Allison

Anonymous said...

I love the pugs on the fridge in the background of your coffee pic!
My fav recipe is Kath's Banana Oatmeal, thinly slicing the bananas so they melt in while cooked has changed my life! Also, reading blogs helped me try out countless new foods that I now love such as nutritional yeast, kale, soy milk, hemp milk... All so good.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Good luck with summer session!!

Hooray for medjool dates!! :0D

I'd say the best recipe was the Banana-Date-Walnut Muffin one from the Fatfree Vegan Kitchen blog, since that was the very first recipe that I EVER tried, period; and it sparked my interest in veganism!!

Anonymous said...

im jealous of your white cabinets! so pretty!

Rose said...

This is a simple answer, but mine would have to be Kath's suggestion of keeping peanut butter on the spoon while eating oatmeal. It holds me over much longer than past breakfast foods I used to eat, plus it's just delicious!

Anonymous said...

Tina, I discovered your blog recently and I've really enjoyed reading it! I think the best part is that I live in Boston, too, so it's cool to see local places. (I live on Beacon Hill and visit the Sevens often!)

I've learned a lot from reading food blogs - Kath's oatmeal is big, especially since I used to hate oatmeal. It's very helpful to see how everyone navigates eating out and social events, too. I guess that overall, it's encouraging to see a group of women who are eating and cooking healthy and sensible meals and practicing a moderate lifestyle.

Sarah said...

Kath's oatmeal recipes definitely changed my breakfasts. I used to not like oatmeal all that much, and if i ever ate it, i had "gasp" INSTANT! Making real oats are so much more satisfying and delicious.

Also so many people in the blogging world use flax, which I had never tried before. Well, I finally bought some last week and I am not OBSESSED. Adding it to oatmeal, cereal, and yogurt keeps me full for hours longer than it used to.

Other products I've become obsessed with because of the blogging world: Ezekial bread, natural peanut butter, larabars, fage yogurt.

Thank goodness for the food blogging community---I really don't know what I would do without some of these great foods!

Anonymous said...

Seeing Kashi GoLean Crunch, ZBars and Kath's oatmeal have been huge deals for me!

Off topic, but Tina, where is it that you work? Since you mentioned orientation I thought of a college. But college might just be on the brain since I'm going in the fall!

Anonymous said...

What type of salad dressing do you use? Any particular brand?

Your egg sandwiches have def. been a great addition to my food eats!

Anonymous said...

Becky,

I work for Harvard University.

Anon,

I don't typically use salad dressing. If I do, it's balsamic vinegar or some honey mustard on the side.

Becca said...

I don't think I can pick just one thing! There are so many little things or ideas I have picked up from various blogs or that helped inspire me to think up my own!