Sunday, August 24, 2008

Flavorless Figs?

We're heading to the South End in a few minutes, so I've got to make this post quick. I thought about eating lunch out, but since we just went grocery shopping yesterday, I decided to throw together an easy lunch of leftover Buffalo Chicken Pizza and a side salad. For some reason, leftover pizza always tastes better to me!


My side salad included grape tomatoes, cucumbers, snap peas, red onions, scallions, and was topped with Claire's relish. This salad had a ton of volume! Let's hope it keeps me satisfied until dinner. 


Breakfast this morning was a bowl of Stonyfield plain yogurt with fresh raspberries and cantaloup. About 3 bites in, I decided I wanted a little crunch with my fruit and yogurt, so I added half of a Honest Foods Granola Plank (Maple Almond Crunch flavor), which added the perfect amount of deliciousness.


Breakfast also included a Thomas English Muffin with Barney Butter and a flavorless fig. Figs are supposed to be sweet, right? I've heard that figs are a little like dates (and you know how I feel about dates!), but this fig was bland and boring. It was definitely ripe, but maybe I needed to prepare it somehow? 


Breakfast all together with iced coffee...


I'm off! I love the South End for many reasons, but mostly because there are lots of cute, small dogs (i.e. pugs)! Happy Sunday, blogland! 

13 Comments:

Lauren said...

I had the same disappointing experience when I bought fresh figs a few weeks ago. I LOVE dried figs, so I thought the fresh ones would be yummy too - but, as you said, they were flavorless and not at all sweet. If you experiment with ways to prepare them, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be interested in reading about it!

Jessica said...

Drizzle the fresh figs with a little honey and/or allow to sit for 3-4 days longer.

Unknown said...

Oh no! I've only tried fresh figs two or three times but fortunately they've been nice and sweet...

they say to look for ones that are slightly soft to the touch, and often you can see a little juice "oozing" (not the best word, but it works...) out the bottom when they're really ripe.

i've tried cutting them in half, sprinkling with crumbled goat cheese and drizzle of balsamic, then warming them in the oven for a fabulous appetizer... that might bring some of the flavor out?

Mo said...

I agree with the previous commenter, stuff 'em with a little goat cheese and a drizzle of honey or balsamic. Eaten cold or warmed it is sheer bliss!
Enjoy your Sunday!

Anonymous said...

have you ever tried dried figs? they are possibly my favorite food ever. they taste like the most delicious candy, but are nutritious and natural!

Anonymous said...

yum!! I love the looks of your breakfast :) so light and summary!! have fun, enjoy the weather- sooo beautiful out here in BOS!

(eatnrun.wordpress.com)

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about dates- they really aren't nearly as delish as figs! But other than that, your breakfast looks fantastic!

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

the fig was probably just a bad one.. five it another shot!

Anonymous said...

I have a couiple great recipes for FIGS i am going to do a post on them tommorow!

Protea said...

Oh no, that fig even looks flavourless... no colour there Tina... They prob weren't ripe yet... If there's any left, keep them out of the fridge for a few more days. Or the season is not right...?!?!?

Anonymous said...

I love fresh figs (but can't stand dry for some reason). In the picture it looks like it wasn't fully ripe - inside was still kind of pinky? I find they should be really soft - almost mushy - on the outside and dark brown with the seeds on the inside. They can be really sweet, and I don't put any honey or anything on them. It might also just be a less-than-stellar batch, kind of like sometimes getting a package of bland strawberries, you know? Don't give up on them!

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see this post because I just bought a whole container of fresh figs and I have no idea what to do with them. I love dried figs, so I figured I would give fresh figs a try. The goat cheese and vinegar suggestions sound delish!


sweets&sweats.wordpress.com

Top source trading, Ltd. said...

i have two fig trees growing, having 5-10 daily is a blast :)