Saturday, August 16, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New

Today's closet reorganization project was successful! Both Mal and I cleaned-out and edited our wardrobes, and between the two of us, we donated over 50 items to Big Brothers, Big Sisters! It felt great to downsize and have a "fresh" start! I'm surprised that we had so many pieces that we didn't wear or that were worn-out. I guess it really needed to be done! 

Brunch this morning was a simple Frittata made with potato, fresh basil, onion, garlic, prosciutto, and cheddar cheese. I don't remember the exact measurements for the recipe-- I just threw together all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then poured it in a greased baking tin, and cooked it in the oven at 375* for about 20 minutes. Frittatas are so yummy and easy to make-- I definitely should make them more often! (For brunch, I ate about 1/4 of the frittata.) 


Approximate measurements:

6 eggs
1 medium potato (cooked until tender and thinly sliced)
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
3-4 slices of prosciutto
salt and pepper to taste 

About an hour after breakfast, I was hungry again, so I decided to make myself a snack: half of a piece of whole wheat bread with Barney Butter and peanut butter and chocolate chips. (Barney Butter is a scary new obsession of mine!!! I'm worried it might replace peanut butter in my diet! It's THAT delicious!)


Mal and I spent a good hour or so reorganizing our closets. Once we finished, we made plans to go downtown to do a little shopping and meet our friend Jon for coffee. (Not pictured: a tall iced coffee with soy milk from Starbucks.) Before we left, I ate another snack. I didn't want lunch, but I knew I'd be hungry again in a couple of hours. 


I decided on a small bowl of Stonyfield plain yogurt with strawberries and part of a Honest Foods Blueberry Vanilla Crackle Granola Plank. It was the perfect snack: satisfying and delicious! I'm loving the Honest Food Granola Planks! Now I understand what all of the buzz was about! 


Dinner tonight was an Annie's Organic Skillet Meal made with ground turkey, tomato, and red onion. Annie's is always a great meal, but with the turkey, tomato, and onion, it was outstanding! The Skillet Meal makes a huge portion, so we have a lot of leftovers for tomorrow. (Evening snack not pictured: A small bowl of Kashi Go Lean Crunch mixed with part of a granola plank and milk. Dinner was too early this evening!)


How awesome is Michael Phelps! He just won his 8th gold medal!!!!!

13 Comments:

Samantha said...

I love making frittatas, the combinations are endless. Yours looks delicious. I am loving the Honest Foods planks too - I like the Maple Almond flavor the best. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!

Trying To Heal said...

isn't that plank great! i just tried that pomegranate/walnut one and that one rocks too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that you donated to BBBS. They are an excellent organization! My husband and I are a Big Couple and it's amazing. Thanks for doing such a good thing!

Protea said...

I saw almond butter in the health shop yesterday. I'm buying one to try, as soon as my jar of PB is finished. : )
There's a lovely lady called Beauty who cleans our home every Friday and she also goes to J's work twice a week. She's the one who gets all our donations of clothes and everything else we don't use anymore. Beauty is very very poor and lives in a zinc shack with her big family in a township. She can't afford to buy clothes or much else rather than basic food. So she's our preferred charity. It does start at home for us! : )

Anonymous said...

must try the barney butter!!!

Anonymous said...

I keep seeing the planks in blogland and have yet to buy them. I should really get on that.

PonderingRunningYogi said...

The blueberry planks are my favorite so far (I have yet to try the pomegranate)! They're so chewy and flavorful! Yum!

HangryPants said...

I've seen those Annie's meals and wondered if they would be tasty and filling. Thanks for the review. Happy Sunday.

Heather

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Your frittata sounds delicious and oh my I would love to try that almond butter!

Anonymous said...

Did the woman who sent you the samples tell you where you could purchase the almond butter? I looked on their website and it doesn't seem that they sell it anywhere near the northeast. I live in southern NH and would be interested in trying it. Thanks! Also, thanks for writing this blog. I just came across it a week ago and it is a great inspiration to eat healthier.

Tina said...

Allison,

Unfortunately, Barney Butter hasn't made it to the northeast quite yet. You buy it online on the Barney Butter website.

Unknown said...

Are those honest foods planks anywhere in boston yet? I haven't seen them in philly, but am looking forward to the upcoming move!!

Tina said...

ttfn300,

I haven't seen them yet, but according to the Honest Foods website, you can buy them at the following places:

Northeast

Dave’s Fresh Marketplace
Mrs. Greens
Whole Foods

New England/North Atlantic

Hannaford Bros.
Whole Foods
Wild Oats