Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Skinny Cookies

Oh, how I love cookies! I could easily eat 4 or 5 cookies in one sitting, but all of those calories are not very weight-friendly. With the apartment all to myself tonight, I decided to climb into my PJs, turn on some tunes, and bake. What to bake was an easy decision, especially since I had a full bag of peanut butter and chocolate chips: Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookies. However, my plan was to cut calories and fat in the recipe as much as possible... mostly because I am a cookie monster and tend to eat more than just 1 or 2 cookies at a time! :)


Skinny PB and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 32 cookies

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp liquid egg whites
2 tbsp hemp milk (or soy, cow's, etc.)
1/4 cup peach puree (approx. 1 small peach)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups peanut butter and chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well until batter is blended evenly. (To make peach puree, I sliced up a small peach and pureed it a food processor/blender.)
3. Use a tablespoon to portion cookies on a greased* baking sheet, approximately 2 inches apart.
4. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Carefully remove cookies from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.

*Be sure to grease cookie sheet very well. The cookies are really thin, and they kept breaking apart when I tried to remove them with a spatula from the cookie sheet.


70 Calories?*

I cut calories where I could for this recipe, but I am still surprised by how few calories each cookie has and how great they still taste. (Mal even liked them!) Below are the approximate calorie counts for each ingredient. Please let me know if I messed up an estimate!

3/4 cup all-purpose flour (345)
1/4 whole wheat flour (101)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (418)
1/4 cup sugar (193)
3 tbsp liquid egg whites (25)
2 tbsp hemp milk (or soy, cow's, etc.) (20)
1/4 cup peach puree (approx. 1 small peach) (30)
1 tsp vanilla extract (12)
1 tsp baking soda (0)
1/4 tsp salt (0)
1 cups peanut butter and chocolate chips (1120)

Total: 2264 calories/32 cookies = 70 calories

*I totally suck at math! These cookies have about 70 calories each (not 50). Sorry for the confusion! Still not bad for a cookie! 

25 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Those cookies sound divine; and hooray for hempmilk!!!!! :0D

HangryPants said...

Peach puree! What a great idea.

Megan said...

Wow those cookies look great! I will definately try making them :-D I also need to finally go out and try hempmilk since I see so many people drinking/using it.

Anonymous said...

I hope you ate like 6 of those!

Anonymous said...

mmm, pb and chocolate, it sounds so delicious!


I have yet to try hempmilk...I must remember to buy it =)

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to give these ones a try. Awesome! I'm always up for a good and delicious low cal cookie.

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

ohmigod that is so delicioussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sounding. tina, i wish i lived next door from you and could come steal your cookies :D

Anonymous said...

Amazing! These sound right up my alley~I love how decadent they look, and yet only 50 calories each! You're a genius!

Nicole said...

Wow! They sound really great. Peach puree, yum!

Anonymous said...

Wow those look great.. thansk for the breakdown on everything.. I love making healthy desserts/snacks

Anonymous said...

Those cookies sound great! You are so creative in the kitchen, I would have never thought to put a peach in cookies! And 50 calories is AWESOME for a cookie!

Erica said...

How creative- nice work Tina!

Danielle said...

Oh my gosh, those cookies look and sound amazing! Thanks for the recipe. I didn't think it was possibly but you're extra creative on Girl's Nights :)

Jessica said...

50 calorie cookies- I must try these!!!

Sara said...

YUM! I'm a cookie monster just like you and these look wonderful. I might just have to have a girls night in too and bake them myself!

Unknown said...

ooh, now those look good! (not that I've seen anything look bad :)) definately be trying these soon!

Anonymous said...

I am gonna have to make these!! but did you really mean 1.5 cups of pb choc chips?! that's definitely more than 450 calories..but still totally worth it and delicious! I'm going to go make them now!

arielle said...

Yeah, I was going to say that, too. The chocolate chips I buy, at least, are 80 calories a tablespoon I think...and there are 16 tablespoons in a cup... They still look good and worth it, though!!

Protea said...

hey!
How many eggs or egg whites do you think I need to replace the amount of liquid whites?!?! One? And do you think I could replace apple sauce for the pureed peach? It's not season yet down here... Thanks!

Tina said...

Denise,

According to the liquid egg whites container, 3 tbsp = 1 large egg.

I'm not sure about the applesauce, but I think it would probably work well!

Protea said...

I'll try tonight and I'll let you know the result! Thanks for the great cookie recipes you post! The oat bars were fantastic! : )

kate said...

Hi Tina,
First off I LOVE your blog and read it everyday now over my bowl of oatmeal (i am a sporadic blogger trying to be better and your's is a HUGE motivator)...okay now about the cookies. So I had to sub. applesauce and splenda for the peach and sugar. Mine turned out more cake like and not very sweet...do you think the subs made a big difference???

Tina said...

Kate,

Yea, maybe the applesauce and Splenda reacted differently. My cookies were pretty thin and fragile, so I think there is def some trial and error with this recipe.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina, I'm supposed to be working right now but it's 3:10pm on a Friday, AND there's a hurricane heading straight for me! So we're really just in waiting mode. Anyway, question: do you buy a bag of each chocolate and peanut butter chips separately, or is there one magical bag out there with both? If there's one magical bag, where do you get it and what's the brand??! It would be marvelous to be able to buy one bag of both :) Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!!

Tina said...

Maria A.,

There are a magical bag of both peanut butter and chocolate chips! They are made by Toll House.