Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kitchen Experiment #515

I really have no clue where I come up with these kitchen experiment ideas. I was craving oatmeal this morning for breakfast, but I didn't want the same old bowl. Instead, I decided to "bread" my sliced nectarine with oatmeal batter. (I know, random.) I used Kath's recipe for an oatmeal pancake with my addition of 1 tbsp of vanilla hemp milk to make the mixture more "battery." I then coated my nectarine slices with the oatmeal pancake batter and cooked them in a skillet. The experiment came out pretty well, but I think next time, I will double the batter recipe. The nectarine slices would have benefited from more oatmeal pancake goodness. This recipe would probably work well with other slice-able fruits-- apples, peaches, etc.


Oatmeal Pankcake Batter

  • 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 egg white (or 3 tbsp of liquid egg whites)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp vanilla hemp (or soy) milk
  • Cinnamon to taste
Directions:
  • Heat skillet and add non-stick cooking spray (or butter, oil, etc.)
  • Slice fruit into 1/4 inch pieces
  • Spread oatmeal pancake batter on one side of fruit and place in skillet, oatmeal side down. Then, spread oatmeal pancake batter on the top side of the fruit while in skillet. (*Add more oatmeal batter if desired, covering the entire piece of fruit.)
  • Top fruit pancakes with maple syrup, almond butter, jam, etc. (optional)
* Double recipe for more batter.

Nectarine slices, coated in oatmeal pancake batter, cooking in skillet...


I also had a few dates and an iced coffee with vanilla soy milk for breakfast.


Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper

I receive comments from readers pretty regularly about the smallish size of my dinners-- I tend to taper my food intake as the day progresses. I figured I should explain this eating habit.

Like the old proverb says, "Eat Breakfast Like a King, Lunch Like a Prince, and Dinner Like a Pauper," I try to eat my larger meals early in the day (i.e. eat breakfast like a king) and my smaller meals in the evening (i.e. dinner like a pauper). This eating pattern makes a lot of sense to me for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that I often exercise first thing in the morning, so I like to refuel with a big breakfast (600-700 calories) packed with healthy carbs and protein. Following a morning workout, I used to eat a much smaller breakfast, but by lunch, I would be starving. Over time, my body has gotten used to eating most of its calories in the early hours of the day. My lunch is usually a tiny bit smaller than breakfast (500-600 calories) with a good-sized snack in the afternoon (200-300 calories) and, of course, occasional treats (100-300 calories). Eating the majority of my calories in the first part of the day keeps my energy up and my metabolism buzzing along. Dinner is often my smallest meal of the day (400-500 calories), which is usually made up of protein, complex carbs, and lots of veggies. Especially when I am just lounging around the house at night, I don't need lots of calories for energy. I'm also an earlier riser, so it makes sense for me to front-load my caloric-intake because I hit the sack before 10:00 pm and don't need a ton of calories in the later part of the day. Finally, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, so why not start the day off right with a hearty meal of my favorite foods.

Question of the Day

How do you push/challenge yourself when exercising (mind games, the clock, personal trainer, exercise buddy, etc.)?

19 Comments:

Caitlin said...

thanks for the explanation on your "tapering" eating habits! very illuminating and thoughtful

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I ALWAYS enjoy your recipes/kitchen experiments - the oatmeal batter looks great :0)

Mmm, dates!!

Interesting information, regarding eating habits.

To challenge myself when exercising, I rely on my personal trainer, dance partner, coaches, and myself, to get through it.

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to follow that proverb as a guideline too...I just need to remind myself every so often that peanut butter puffins don't count as an appropriate dinner.

Bridget said...

I tend to eat smaller dinners as well since I like to eat frequently when I'm at work. I'm hoping when my fiance and I move in together this eating pattern won't suffer too much, luckily he eats pretty healthy too.

Those oatmeal/nectarine "pancakes" look awesome.

Sometimes I really have to talk to myself while excersizing to push myself sometimes. Recently though I've been trying out the iTrain workouts...I've tried a 40min elliptical workout where there is someone talking you through the whole thing with music...its great to get me to switch up resistance and speed, and its on my ipod!

Nicole said...

What a cute breakfast idea!

I set goals and that really helps to push and to challenge myself. Reaching the goal feels really great!

Anonymous said...

While I love the idea of tapering my calories throughout the day, I actually end up doing the opposite. I eat a small breakfast, small lunch, medium snack, large dinner, and then a small after dinner snack. It works best for me because I'm a teacher and don't have time to eat much early in the day and when I get home I refuel so that I can workout and then I cook a lovely dinner to relax with in the evening. I've maintained my weight, so it's working, but I must admit, I would love to be able to eat like you with a big breakfast and then a small dinner.

Anonymous said...

Your breakfast looks so creative and fun! I wish my creative juices could flow like that in the early hours of the morning!

Regarding tough workouts, I like to tell myself that when it starts to burn; when it starts to get uncomfortable, is when I'm going to start seeing results, start changing my body. Kinda like, no pain no gain. I like my workouts to be burn; makes me feel like I'm doing work!
Also, I ask myself "why wouldn't I work out hard? What are the benefits of not pushing myself?" I usually can't find an answer (other than when I'm sick or something), so I push myself. And it always makes me feel good and proud I did it! :)

Meg said...

Love the breakfast experiment! It looks tasty!

arielle said...

you are quite creative.

Beth said...

Music is my primary motivator! I love challenging myself to pick up the pace, go for one more song, whatever. I love my iPod.

A question for Tina and anyone who uses agave nectar: is it just me, or does it leave an aftertaste? I've been experimenting with it in coffee and yuck, the aftertaste is not pleasant!

RunToTheFinish said...

First the food looks delicious... second I love breakfast and tend to make it my biggest meal...I can tell people at work often think good lord didn't she already eat.. but I love it.

Rosiecat24 said...

I'm always in awe of anyone who can dig out a skillet on a weekday morning. Your nectarine oatmeal pancakes sound like a great idea!

The only way I make it through my running work-outs is to relax, breathe, and tell myself over and over again that I can do this. It works every time.

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of making breakfast the biggest meal. I don't do it because I'm more of a grazer/snacker, but I think I want to try bumping up the size of my breakfasts a bit. It might help curb the snacking a little.

As for working out, what keeps me going a lot of the time is some really good, loud music. Even if I'm ready to be finished my workout, if a really good song comes on I can often go significantly longer. I love good workout music :)

Sara said...

What a great idea! I'll have to try out your experiment for myself. They look delish.

RhodeyGirl/Sabrina said...

I push myself by talking to myself through a workout. I tell myself "2 more minutes and you can walk" or "sprint like you've never done before" or even simple things like "you can do this". I think my nice exercise conversations with myself are the only thing that gets me through those first 10 minutes.

Anonymous said...

There are two Bridgets! I'll add a P to avoid confusion :)

I like the idea of tapering- unfortunately, sometimes I find myself eating a big breakfast and then still having a big-ish dinner.

I set mini-goals to push myself during workouts. Sprint to that tree, go for 3 more minutes, etc.

HangryPants said...

Tina, this makes a lot of sense about eating less at night. Why would you need extra at neight when you're about to rest?

Heather

TheRavenousMommy said...

Those pancakes look awesome...great idea!

I find that really good music always keeps me going faster when I'm doing cardio. I also picture the thinner & healthier version of myself in my head to keep me focused.

Anonymous said...

Experiments in the kitchen often end up with the best eats! I'm saving this one to make in the VERY near future :-)
Motivation for workouts - I'm very goal-oriented, so having a race or other goal to train for keeps me on track (i.e. doing it every day, or whatever the schedule is) and motivated through the actual workout.

Oh, almost forgot - meals - Like you, the "big breakfast" with the taper through the evening works for me too. I just seem to be naturally hungrier in the early part of the day, but after mid-afternoon I just don't even get that hungry.