Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Make It Fast

Yay, relaxing facial tonight! I thought the Boston readers might want to know my little secret. I get my facials done in a student clinic at an esthetics school, called the Catherine Hinds Institute of Esthetics, in Woburn (just north of Boston). The student clinic allows estheticians-in-training to practice their skills on "live" clients. The best part: As a client, you only pay for the products used during your facial, which means that the services provided by the Catherine Hinds students are free! Therefore, for example, a 60-minute Basic Facial is just $24! You can add fancy enzymes, ampoules, and essentials oils to your facial for an additional $10, which is still quite a steal! If you are anywhere near Boston, you should definitely give the Institute a try. I've only ever had amazing experiences, and you can't beat the price!

Ok, dinnertime! Dinner was thrown together in 10 minutes: Dr. Praeger's veggie burger on a Thomas' Bagelbread with a side salad made with romaine, grape tomatoes, and drizzled with creamy Italian dressing. 


Simple, but delicious dinner. For something sweet after dinner, I dug into an Oatmeal Raisin Bar. I brought a batch to work today (they were a hit!), but Mal and I have our own stash at home. :)



More on Sugar

Tips for Dealing with Sugar Addiction (courtesy of Kathleen Moriarty):
  • Reduce or eliminate caffeine: The ups and downs of caffeine include dehydration and blood sugar swings, causing cravings to be more frequent. 
  • Eat sweet vegetables or fruit: They're good for you!
  • Experiment with spices: Some will naturally sweetened your foods and reduce cravings.
  • Use gentle sweets: Avoid chemicalized, artificial sweeteners and foods with added sugars.
  • Get physical activity: It will help balance your blood sugar levels and reduce tension without medicating yourself with sugar. 
  • Get more sleep, rest, and relaxation: When you are tired and stressed, your body will crave energy--  in the form of sugar. 
  • Eliminate fat-free or low-fat foods: These foods contain high quantities of sugar to compensate for lack of flavor and fat, which will send you on a roller coaster of sugar highs and lows. 
  • Drink water: Sometimes sugar cravings are a sign of dehydration. 
If you're interested in learning more about sugar cravings and how to tame them, feel free to contact Kathleen (www.kmoriarty.com). She gave a wonderful workshop last night-- it definitely opened my eyes!

17 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great deal on the facial! I've enjoyed reading your blog.

Tami said...

there use to be a massage school in burlington where you could get 25$ massages!

Amanda said...

OMG I CANT WAIT TO TRY THIS PLACE OUT...thanks for this gem tina :)

Beth said...

Hells yeah to student facials! Anyone not in Boston, you should check to see if there is an Aveda institute in your area - same premise and yummy Aveda products.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love all your info about reducing sugar. I've been trying to do the same thing because I fell so sluggish and I'm breaking out. I only use agave nectar to sweeten things and the spice thing really helps. Cinnamon is amazing on just about everything!

Quinn said...

Yay for free facials! And so fitting that you discuss sugar knock outs and facials all at once. I know they say that sugar's role with "flare ups" or imperfections in the face is a myth, but I can totally tell when I've consumed too much sugar. I am convinced there's a link.

Anonymous said...

Awesome deal on the facial. I love facials, but such an expensive pasttime...I think I've heard that you can go to massage therapy schools and the get the same type of deal? Sounds like a pampering day is on my horizon :)

Bridget said...

Nice! I drive through Wouburn everyday to and from work!! I will definitely be checking this out...I haven't had a facial in years. Thanks for the tip!

Trying To Heal said...

i've never had a facial before, so i'm guessing that deal is good! yay for saving money!!

Caitlin said...

thank you so much for all those sugar facts! :D

i need a facial place like that!

Bill said...

That burger looks super fab. Dinner on the balcony? Love it!

Anonymous said...

dinner looks great! and great ideas regarding reducing sugar.. it was very informative.

Beth said...

Tina, I made the oatmeal bars tonight and subbed applesauce for half of the oil (using 1/4 cup of each). Do you ever try that? I don't know what the originals taste like but these are pretty darn tasty for half the fat!

Laura said...

Great oatmeal bar recipe Tina! I made them tonight but tweaked the recipe a bit using whole wheat flour and ground flax seeds as well cut back on the brown and white sugar and used some agave. Next time I will have to try Beth's method and use applesauce.. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm going through the motions of the first one on your list right now, but it's more because of a "crack" addiction.

Anonymous said...

I could definitely go for a free facial. I should see if there are any student clinics around here. That's SUCH a good deal.

Thanks for all of the sugar info! A lot of it is pretty basic stuff and yet it's so easy to make those mistakes and not realize. Really eye opening!

Lori said...

Thanks for posting more info about your workshop.
Everybody has to pick on caffeine! :)
There is still a lot of research out there supporting the health benefits of coffee in moderation. I'm not giving it up until someone can PROVE it is unhealthy. Ha, ha!