Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sore

My plan this morning was to wake up, workout, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, and then drive about an hour home to visit our families. Well, my plans changed the second I went to turn off my alarm: intense soreness, especially in my hamstrings, biceps, and triceps. It was a good soreness, like I had a great workout yesterday, but it wasn't motivating me to go running. I decided to take it easy-- it's the weekend, and I had quite a few good workouts this week. Plus, I can always sneak in an afternoon run later on.

Like most mornings, I woke up craving Barney Butter. (I know, it's a strange obsession!) I made a bowl of oatmeal and oat bran mixed together with sliced almonds and ground flaxseed meal, and of course, topped with 2 spoonfuls of Barney Butter (2nd spoonful not pictured). 

Measurements:

1/4 cup oatmeal (dry)
1/4 cup oat bran (dry)
1 tbsp sliced almonds
1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1 cup water 


Last Night's Dinner

I'm sure some of the other food bloggers can relate to this-- last night, I just needed a break from blogging! I love CNC and my readers, but I didn't have it in me to put up a post last night. I ate dinner with Mal, watched a movie, and vegged-out with US Weekly. Blogging just didn't fit into my night. Hope you guys understand! 

Dinner was a turkey burger slider on a Thomas Whole Wheat Bagelbread and some grape tomatoes on the side (Sorry no photo. I was a bum last night). 


Dessert was the usual Barney Butter on whole wheat bread with peanut butter and chocolate chips. I ended up eating the other half of bread the same way while watching our movie (half #2 not pictured).


Wing Off

We're headed to our hometown for a family Wing Off today! It's an annual family event, held in the fall, with lots of eating and drinking! For the Wing Off, each family member makes and enters their (secret) chicken wing recipe into the contest, we sample them all (well, most of them), and then we vote on the best wing in each category. The winners receive cash prizes and trophies! This year's wing categories: Hot, Sweet, and International. (There's some overlap in these categories, but you can pick which category you want your wings to be judged based on the competition. Strategy!) 

Mal and I are planning to make hot wings, which should be a better showing than last year. I think we probably had the worst wings at the Wing Off last year. Ugh, they were awful. The recipe called for a bottle of beer, but the beer watered-down the recipe and made the wings bland and kind of soggy. Not at all good. Let's hope we improve this year! 

Happy Saturday! 

14 Comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Kudos to you for taking it easy today, when you need it the most - I need to learn how to take it easy sometimes, haha ;0)

Love your breakfast; and OH MY GOODNESS that dessert looks scrumptious - wowza!

Have fun at the Wing Off!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and order some Barney Butter....

Unknown said...

I'm thinking the same thing about the Barney Butter... :) Gotta love that muscle soreness from a good workout!

have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I understand how you feel about taking the night off. Last night, even though my google reader had almost 50 posts and I try to get a head start on my morning bloggins, I just couldn't. Sometimes a break is just what we need!

HangryPants said...

Sounds like such a fun small town family event. Have a great time with the wings.

Anonymous said...

Good thought taking the day off from a workout when you're sore. Someone just told me a great way to think of it: Having a day off when the workout would otherwise be lousy/painful is worth it since the next one when you're rested/recovered will be better - as opposed to having a string of days with not-so-great sessions because of the dragging soreness/tiredness. 1 day off instead of 4 days of dragging, you know?

But, yeah, having just the right amount of the "good-sore" can be very satisfying. Recognizing which is which - now that's hard, lol!

Have a great time at the wing-off, sounds fun! I've been putting oat bran into my oatmeal along with ground flax a lot lately, and am loving how the oatbran makes the oatmeal nice and creamy.

Trying To Heal said...

I keep eyeing that barney butter at henry's to try...but it's so expensive....errggggg....

best of luck at the wings contest!! have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Mmm the Barney Butter with the chocolate chips looks so good!! I've never tried Barney Butter before...it sounds tasty. =)

Samantha said...

I agree that some nights you just need to let the brain rest, sometimes I don't feel like thinking once D is in bed. I hope you enjoy your family fun today. Good luck & I hope your wings win 1st prize!!

Erica said...

Good luck in the wing off :) Hope the aches going away!!

Anonymous said...

A Wing Off!! That sounds like so much fun! How many entries are there? Must be a lot to try? Can't wait to hear how it all turns out for you. You seem to be a good cook -- you'll most certainly win!

Unknown said...

I love how you guys are always doing fun stuff on the weekends. Have a good one!

Tracy said...

Tina,
I think you should have some type of contest and send the winner some Barney Butter. Maybe the company would donate a few jars! I have got to try it!!!

Anonymous said...

Being sore after working out is awesome. But good call on the break, no point in doubling up on the pain.

Good luck with the wings! I wish I actually liked wings, that event sounds like fun.